New Delhi: Arzoo Singh Chauhan, a 23-year-old Delhi University student, was allegedly strangled by her boyfriend last week during a tiff over his impending marriage with someone else.

Then, in a macabre twist, he drove home from Dwarka with the body in the boot of his car and dumped it the next morning in a ventilation shaft inside his house at north Delhi's Rajpura locality.

The next day, accused Naveen Khatri, 23, got married and spent the wedding night in a room close to the spot where the dead girl lay.

Arzoo's body was finally recovered by the police on Sunday, when they cracked the case five days after the murder was committed.

Police said the two were in a relationship for around a year. The crime was committed in the heat of the moment when Arzoo threatened threatened to tell Naveen's wouldbe bride about her pregnancy.

Naveen is a property dealer while Arzoo was pursuing a bachelors degree from Lakshmibai College. Both families are in the real estate business. F amily members say Arzoo had gone missing from her college on around 2pm on February 2 and her friends said they had seen Naveen pick her up in a Swift Dzire car.

Confessing to committing the crime on sustained interrogation, Naveen told the police that Arzoo flew into a rage when he said he would need her help in distributing cards for his wedding on February 4.

Police said, as the two were arguing, Naveen drove to Nangal Dawat village near Dwarka in south-west Delhi.

There Arzoo hit him a few times following which he strangled her using her dupatta. In panic, he put the body in the trunk and drove back more than 20km to his home.

During interrogation, Naveen said he parked the vehicle inside his house to avoid suspicion and woke up early next morning to dump the body in the shaft.

Arzoo's parents, Sanjeev and Kavita Chauhan, had registered a missing complaint on February 2 at the Model Town police station after they found her phone switched off.

"We registered a case on the basis of the missing complaint filed by the parents and launched a probe. Khatri was the prime suspect and he was questioned after his marriage. He broke down during sustained interrogation and was arrested," said Vijay Singh, DCP, northwest.

Arzoo's body has been sent for a postmortem.

"We suspected Naveen's role as my sister kept meeting him secretly even after their marriage was called off in November last year. Though we had agreed to the match, Naveen's family rejected it saying the two were like siblings as they belonged to the same village," said Arzoo's sister, Payal.

Police said Chauhans have accused that Naveen's family members, his father Raj Kumar in particular, were also involved in the crime.

Raj Kumar has been in prison since 2006 for murdering a youth and was out on parole for the wedding. The family business was being looked after by Naveen and his brother Sandeep.

Police have registered a case of murder against the accused, Naveen. They have also detained a few other members of the family for questioning.


Post A Comment:


We Will Love to Hear From You! Pls Comment Your Views...........